Saturday, February 1, 2014

A very good day

Friday, January 31st

A very good day.   I slept better through the night and the early morning medical news was good - WBC down to 0.8, blast cells down to 46%.  I had to return for an ultrasound in the morning to check liver, kidney, and pancreas function and all systems are go.

Another dreary day in Orlando which helps me right now as I don't miss the outdoors as much and I can stay focused on work.  I had a productive day and was motivated by the knowledge that my family would all be headed in to see me that evening.  I walked about a mile and a half before lunch on my own. My sister busted me in some Five Guys for lunch, I'm starting to worry about putting on weight.:)

The only regression today was the idea that depending on the pathology report and the follow up bone marrow biopsy that will take place around day 14, is that it might be necessary to add a second Induction Phase.  If the blast cells are not 100% cleared, they would rather go through Induction again and get them all up front rather than allow them to drift back upwards again.  The approach is logical and would perhaps extend my first stay here by two weeks. I'm actually not too upset about that scenario.  Better to get the job done right.

My mom visited again in the afternoon and we worked in another walk.  I can feel the fatigue setting in more in the afternoon.  The lower blood count is also making it harder to walk quickly, I may need to come off my Olympic Pace of 16-minute miles.  My sister - the one helping me with the blog - was inspired to go donate platelets out in LA.


Joanne and the kids arrived which was so uplifting.  They all thought I looked a lot healthier.  My cold sores on my lips have cleared, I was able to shave (yes, I remembered the shower today!), and my overall complexion has improved.  The family also came bearing gifts from friends in Vero and that created an uplifting moment.   The night was short, but I was really happy climbing into bed and looking forward to some sleep knowing that I'd get to see them all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment