Saturday, February 15, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day

Friday, February 14th, 2014

I had a feeling going to bed on Thursday night that I might be in for a long night.  The marrow biopsy had finally been scheduled for Friday and I found out that I was slotted for 3:00pm.  I was pretty deflated because I was expecting to go first thing in the morning and potentially find out some preliminary results by that evening. Now, I was starting to grow concerned that a late test would mean delayed results.  Since it would be Friday afternoon, no telling what that means for the lab over the weekend.  Additionally, since they give you mild sedation for the procedure, you have to fast for eight hours prior.  However, they said it's always possible that the schedule opens up and they could call for me early.  So Thursday night's meal at 6:00pm would be my last food for while.

I slept well from 9:30 until the blood draw at 1:00am, but after waking up for that process, I could not get back to sleep.  As much as I tried to relax and put the test out of my mind, I couldn't do it.  I tossed and turned in the dark, then gave in and jumped onto the computer.  There would be no more rest tonight.

Through the morning I started bothering the nurse to call down to the lab to see if there was an opening.  As it turns out, lab was busy and continued to run behind, it wasn't looking good.  My kids had the day off of school, so after Joanne treated a few patients in the morning they headed up.  My Dad and step mom stopped by for what was suppose to be lunch (so hungry) and were here when the kids arrived.  Great for the kids to see them as we don't get to spend as much time together now that we live in Florida.  It was approaching 3:00 when the nurse came in and told me I had been pushed back to 4:00 as they were running behind!  I was exhausted and hit the bed for a short snooze.

Finally, they came to fetch me and Joanne took the kids back to my sister's house with a promise to return with a nice steak dinner. The procedure took about an hour and a half and I fell asleep again with the light sedation provided, so no pain for now.  I was back in my room by 5:30 and Joanne was there waiting for me for a great Valentine's evening.  She had prepared dinner for us (complete with more spinach!) and I ate a HUGE meal.  There was a full moon that rose right out my window as we enjoyed dinner alone (well except the constant interruptions from the nurse, the cleaning people, the doctors), but I didn't care.  I was much more at ease now and had given in to the fact that it would take another day to learn about the results.  The evening was great medicine.


No comments:

Post a Comment